29 April 1886 – 22 April 1926:-
George Wilson was born in Edinburgh. Whilst in the Reservists he worked at Niddre Colliery. At the outbreak of war, he returned to the 2nd Battalion Highland Light Infantry.
On 14th September 1914, near Verneuil, France he attacked a hostile machine gun, accompanied by only one man. When the latter was killed, George went on alone, shot an officer and six men then captured the machine gun post. He then used the gun against the enemy.
Falling on hard times, he sold his VC for £5.00.
He died in Craigleith Hospital, Edinburgh in 22 April 1926. He was buried in an unmarked grave in Piershill Cemetery, Edinburgh. The grave was marked by a turfstone by the Royal Highland Fusiliers on 21 August 2003. In addition to his VC, he was awarded the 1914 Star (with Mons clasp), British War Medal, and Victory Medal (with “mentioned in despatches” bronze oak leaf spray). His medals are now held by The Royal Highland Fusiliers Museum, Glasgow.